Ohio State ATI has recently been approved as an exam provider for a nationally recognized solar energy certification. The certification is provided by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP). Persons seeking this certification can take Ohio State ATI's solar energy class and become eligible to sit for this exam, which will be offered at Ohio State ATI.
Certification offers the public a high degree of protection because practitioners have to voluntarily meet standards and qualifications and pass an exam. Developing a certification is a complex and time-consuming process and requires a strong administrative organization in order to maintain its quality. Over a thousand certification programs exist in the U.S., qualifying professionals from crane operators to energy efficiency experts, from financial planners to automobile technicians.
For solar professionals:
- Promotes consumer confidence and differentiates the certificate holder from competitors.
- Validates extra resources spent on training and gaining experience.
- Allows for installer mobility as the market moves from state to state.
- Provides a means to identify qualified installers, promoting confidence in the work performed.
- Preserves consumer choice, maintaining access to both certified and uncertified installers.