We have two programs that may be of interest to you: Livestock Production and Management and Animal Science - Beef, Small Ruminant or Swine Specialization. See the links at the right for the course sequences / curriculum.
The Livestock Production and Management Associate of Applied Science program focuses on the animal care and management, business management, and associated services that are part of a livestock enterprise or related industry. Students choose a species specialization in Beef, Small Ruminant, or Swine.
Students study the principles and processes of nutrition, reproduction, genetics, live and carcass evaluation, and health and management of livestock, as well as accounting and farm business.
Students in the Livestock Production and Management program complete an industry internship of full-time employment. Ohio State ATI helps students find appropriate internship positions in Ohio and across the country. Students are typically paid for their employment, graded on their job performance, and awarded academic credit. Internships are a great way for students to explore career opportunities before graduation.
Practicum is a supervised, practical work experience at the Ohio State ATI Farm that provides students with the opportunity to apply skills learned in the classroom. Students are encouraged to think independently and evaluate and solve problems under the guidance of the livestock facilities manager.
Career opportunities for technical workers in beef, small ruminant, or swine production and management are available in the areas of production, sales, and management. Graduates fill positions such as:
• Livestock herdsman
• Livestock manager
• Artificial insemination technician
• Livestock buyer
• Sales representative
Additional allied industries opportunities are available for work in research and with companies that supply goods and services to livestock producers. Ohio State ATI graduates have recently been hired by such firms as:
• Mid-States Woolgrowers
• Great American Lamb Company
• Summitcrest Performance Angus
• Wolfe's Neck
• Kalmbach Farms
• Hord Livestock Company, Inc.
At Ohio State ATI students utilize specialized facilities and equipment, including:
- A 125-cow herd of Angus, Murray Grey, and crossbred cattle
- 1,700-acre farm laboratory
- A beef cattle handling facility, designed by renowned animal behaviorist Temple Grandin. The only one of its kind in Ohio, the facility includes a corral, a dual chute system with a hydraulic squeeze chute and breeding box, and sorting pens.
- Access to OARDC's 300-head sheep flock
- A 24-sow farrow-to-finish operation that produces 500 market hogs and feeder pigs annually. The operation has a two-staged, raised deck nursery and a grower-finisher barn.