Ohio State ATI's Horticulture Complex includes six production greenhouses, and extensive gardens, including an All-America Selections garden, cutting garden, shade garden, perennial garden, and herb garden.
Students assist in all aspects of the production of major floriculture and nursery crops in the greenhouses complex, including poinsettias that are used to decorate campus buildings, bedding plants that are used for planting the gardens on campus and at the Ohio State ATI Hawk’s Nest golf course, and woody ornamental plants for use on campus. Students also produce and maintain foliage plants for the conservatory’s tropical plant collection. In addition, students are responsible for the care and rotation of foliage plants in the Skou Hall lounge, Café Carmen, and the Library on campus.
Features of the complex include:
- Approximately 16,000 square feet of production area featuring a variety of glazings, including glass and double-layer polyethylene over six greenhouses for floriculture and nursery crop production.
- Three Crop King Nutrient Film Technique Hydroponic production systems
- A Link 4 iGrow 1600 greenhouse environment control computer system
- An outdoor nursery production area
- Student-managed floriculture and nursery sales featuring student-produced crops