Greenhouse and Nursery Management students at Ohio State ATI receive well-rounded classroom instruction complemented with experiential learning while taking advantage of our industry-oriented facilities. Students pursue one of three specializations within the major (see links at the right for the course sequences / curriculum):
- Students in the Greenhouse specialization focus on the propagation and production of herbaceous ornamental plants in environmentally controlled greenhouses for later use in gardens, homes, and exterior or interior plantscaping. It also involves greenhouse vegetable production including hydroponic systems.
- The Nursery specialization provides students training and practice in the skills of identification, care, and maintenance of both woody and herbaceous plants. It also involves the propagation and growing of ornamental plants as well as basic equipment operation.
- Students can also specialize in Greenhouse Engineering Technology, where they develop the knowledge and skills to use advanced technologies in horticultural plant production, such as computerized environmental control systems, irrigation and water management systems, and environmental sensors for data acquisition.
Floriculture and nursery greenhouse businesses produce and market their products directly to the public, other wholesale greenhouse/nursery businesses, independent garden centers, floral shops, and the mass market.
Students will complete a 14-week internship of full-time employment in the greenhouse or nursery industry that allows them to apply in a commercial environment what they have learned on campus. Internships also allow students to learn new production techniques within the industry.
Ohio State ATI helps students find positions in Ohio, other states, and abroad. Students are paid for their employment, graded on their job performance, and awarded academic credit.
Graduates may find jobs in the greenhouse business, nurseries, garden centers, and horticultural companies. Opportunities include:
- Greenhouse grower
- Greenhouse manager/assistant manager
- Garden center manager/assistant manager
- Propagation specialist
- Interior plantscape technician
- Pest and pathogen management
- Horticultural sales
- Public horticulture
Ohio State ATI greenhouse/nursery interns and graduates have been placed in the many nationally recognized business, including the following:
- Franklin Park Conservatory (Ohio)
- Green Circle Growers (Ohio)
- Possum Run Greenhouse (Ohio)
- Stan Hywet Hall (Ohio)
- Willoway Nurseries, Inc. (Ohio)
- C. Raker & Sons, Inc. (Michigan)
- Four Star Greenhouse (Michigan)
- Longwood Gardens (Pennsylvania)
- Skagit Gardens (Washington)
Students have the advantage of our working horticulture facilities:
- Historic conservatory
- Greenhouse and nursery production complex
- Nutrient Film Technique hydroponics production systems
- Annual and perennial gardens
- Secrest Arboretum
Ohio State ATI also offers an Associate of Science in Horticultural Science. This option allows students to begin their coursework at ATI and complete a portion of the requirements for a Bachelor of Science at The Ohio State University College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences in Columbus.