Could a Corporate Coach Help Your Career or Company?
What is Corporate Coaching?
Most of us are familiar with the idea of coaching as it relates to sports. For instance, Olympic and professional athletes have coaches to help them fine tune skills, develop a "game plan," set goals and hold them accountable for results. But what is corporate coaching?
According to Melanie Garcia, Registered Corporate Coach™ on-staff in BTES, corporate coaching (also called executive or business coaching) is the process of engaging in regular, structured conversation with an individual who is working toward specific professional goals. These goals may include career transition, managing career and personal changes, developing executive presence, enhancing strategic thinking, dealing effectively with conflict, improving interpersonal and professional communication, etc. While other forms of coaching, life coaching for instance, focus strictly on the individual's goals, corporate coaching focuses on the business objectives of both the individual and his or her organization.
Why Hire a Coach?
Coaches can help individuals and organizations get results by helping them to build trust, clarify goals, create action plans, take action and be accountable for results. While every organization's goals are different, the type of coaching that individuals need to achieve those goals tends to fall into one of these categories:
- Leadership Development Coaching - for those who are currently in leadership roles and want to expand their skills, as well as for "high potentials" identified for future leadership responsibilities (succession planning)
- Developmental Coaching - for clients preparing to advance into a new role or position
- Performance Coaching - for those who are failing to perform roles or fulfill responsibilities as outlined in job description
- Skills Coaching - for individuals who lack specific knowledge or skills to do the job
- Personal Coaching - for people in need of work/life balance, personal fulfillment or those considering transition to a new career or retirement
- Learning Transfer & Application Coaching – for clients who want to transfer knowledge they have acquired in training and apply it to their daily work
Corporate coaching is a career investment for anyone who has a business-related professional objective and is ready to take action. Whether a CEO, entrepreneur, manager, supervisor, emerging leader or retiring executive looking for the next adventure, working with a coach can help you clarify and achieve your goals.