Student Employment

There are two types of student employment:

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally funded financial aid program. The federal government pays a portion of the student's wages while the employing department pays the difference. Students must apply for FWS by completing the FAFSA ( by the priority deadline (February 1st), request student employment, and demonstrate financial need. In order to be employed under the FWS Program, the student must have received a Federal Work-Study award as part of their financial aid award. The dollar amount of the student's eligibility is the dollar amount of the FWS award. Students must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credit hours.

Wages Employment is employment where the Ohio State ATI employing department pays 100% of the student's wages. Any student enrolled for 6 or more credit hours is eligible.

Commonly asked questions about student employment:

How will I know if I will receive federal work-study?

A student must apply for federal work study using the FAFSA. If a student is eligible, the Student Financial Aid Office will send via OSU Email an "Award Notification" to the student indicating a FWS amount.  Click here to access the FWS job board. 

How much can I earn?

The hourly rate is determined by the job requirements and will be at least the federal minimum wage. If you have a Federal Work-Study (FWS) award your total earnings in the FWS Program are limited to the dollar amount of your FWS award.

How do I find a job on campus?

All Wooster Campus (ATI and OARDC) student job postings and the application process are online only. Students may view open student jobs online and apply for the positions online. To access the listing, click on the ‘Student Jobslink.  Note: Your OSU Username (name.#) must be activated to use this site.

How will I be paid?

You will be paid by the hour. Signed time sheets must be submitted to the Ohio State ATI Business Office no later than 10:00 a.m. each Monday following the end of a pay period. Pay day is every two weeks and checks will be mailed to your home address, or you may sign up to have your check directly deposited into your bank account. Note: Student employment Federal Work-Study and/or Wages does not assist the student with payment of their University Bill.

Will taxes be withheld from my pay?

Yes!  Student pay is subject to Municipal, State, and Federal Taxes. All tax forms, I-9, and related payroll paperwork must be completed before the student begins working. Students must present a a valid US Passport or a picture ID and either a Social Security Card or Birth Certificate when completing the I-9.