Academic Success is often defined as meeting the expectations of the university and making satisfactory progress toward your degree. However, Academic Success is so much more than getting good grades, it’s also about building skills that you will need for the rest of your life.
The College Success Counselor provides one-on-one and in-class workshops to assist you with academic and life skills. Make an appointment to address any of these skills. Here are some resources to get you started.
- Managing School-Life Balance
- Setting and Meeting Goals
- Resilience (Don’t give up or shut down when the going gets tough)
- Growth Mindset(Explore the power of “YET”)(https://fs.blog/2015/03/carol-dweck-mindset/)insert video and quiz (let me know how you want me to send them to you.)
- Motivation –insert video (let me know how you want me to send it to you.)
- Active Studying (link to Study Strategies and Techniques worksheet)
- Reading to Understand(link to Reading to Understand worksheet)
- Smart Note Taking
- Dennis Learning Center
In the meantime, know that Academic Success requires you to:
- Challenge yourself to get as much as possible out of your educational experience.
- Take responsibility for your successes and your failures
- Always, always ask for help.
OSU has many more resources to help you succeed in college. For more information visit the Dennis Learning Center.
Career Planning is the process of matching your interests, skills, and values witha career that you will enjoy. Once you have found a career that you can be passionate about, you prepare for the workforce by gaining experience in the field, networking, building your resume, and preparing for tough interview questions. The College Success Counselor is prepared to assist you with all aspects of Career Planning including:
Career and Major Exploration
- Cover Letters
- Internship and Job Searches
- Mock Interviews
- Salary Negotiations
- Handshake is a career-management platform that allows Ohio State students and recent graduates to connect with employers and internship sites in the corporate, nonprofit, and government sectors that are interested in recruiting Ohio State students. Students create a profile, add photos, and upload resumes and cover letters. This enables them to apply for jobs and internships online through the Handshake platform. https://handshake.osu.edu/
- LinkedIn is the world's largest professional online network with 500+ million members. This social media networking platform connects users to professional contacts, the latest information in their field, and helps users exchange knowledge, ideas, and opportunities. www.linkedin.com
Career Planning Resources
- CFAES Career Development Office in Columbus
- CFAES AAS Two-Year Career Planner (TBD)
- CFAES AS/BS Four-Year Career Planner (TBD)
- Career Counseling & Support Services 4-Year Career Planner
- College of Arts & Sciences (CASC) Career Planning
About the College Success Counselor
Denise Rotavera-Krain has worked in Higher Education as both faculty and staff for 18 years. She is an experienced advisor, teacher, and coordinator from her years at The College of Wooster, Ohio State ATI, and Richard Stockton College of NJ. As the College Success Counselor, Denise works with students to set goals for future academic and career success through one-on-one appointments and workshops. Denise lives in Wooster with her husband Matt, daughter Maia, and cats Phoenix, Perry, and Teddy.
- OnCourse: https://buckeyes.campus.eab.com/
Need help making an appointment with OnCourse? View this video: https://u.osu.edu/oncourse/students/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 330-287-1281
- Office: Halterman 200E (Not accepting in-person Walk-In appointments at this time)