Following a special orientation program, students admitted to the Academy at Ohio State ATI may be eligible to take general education courses and/or core courses in the curriculum of any Ohio State ATI major or certificate program. Online and distance education options are also available.
Students who are admitted to the Academy Program will be required to attend an orientation program before the start of their first semester of enrollment. During the orientation program, students will meet with the Academy advisor and schedule classes. (A parent or legal guardian must also attend the orientation program.) The advisor will have the final say in the number and type of classes the student may take in a given semester. Placement testing may also be required during the pre-enrollment process. Official transcripts of any previous College Credit Plus coursework must be submitted for credit evaluation prior to Academy orientation. See "Application Process" for where to send transcripts.
Course Registration and Availability
Admission to the Academy Program does not guarantee availability of courses or a seat in particular class. Students may not be able to enroll in courses for a variety of reasons, including:
- Per Ohio Dept. of Higher Education rules, CCP students can only enroll in "Level One" courses during their first 15 hours in the CCP program. Ohio State ATI offers nearly 60 courses available in this category. Note that not all "Level One" courses are offered every semester, and you must still meet any course prerequisites.
- Ohio State degree-seeking students will be offered first choice of courses before Academy students are able to register for classes.
- The class may be restricted to students in a particular major, or to students who have completed required pre-requisite courses or achieved required placement test scores.
- A course may be full; course enrollment will be limited by the number of seats available in the course.
- A course may not be offered every semester.
- A course may not fit into a student's schedule.
Note: one 3-semester-hour university course = 1 Carnegie Unit = 1 year-long course in high school
Online and Distance Education Course Options
Online/distance learning course options are also available, although limited at this time. These courses come in a variety of forms:
- Completely online
- Blended/hybrid (online coursework yet with face-to-face interaction at times)
- Synchronous online (online at the same time the instructor is lecturing to in-person students)
Before students can participate in online courses, they are encouraged to complete the Ohio State Online Readiness Survey, meet with their faculty advisor, and have the appropriate technology, proctor, and skills required for the course.