Turfgrass Management involves the science and business related to turfgrasses in commercial, residential, and recreational settings.
Turfgrass managers must know the basic science of managing turfgrass as well as entomology, plant pathology, and weed science. Turf managers are also responsible for developing business plans, budgeting, and supervising staff.
Students may choose to participate in practicum, a supervised work experience at our campus-owned golf course or on campus, to improve skills and apply classroom learning. Practicum work experiences for turfgrass students may include equipment operation, irrigation, construction, and maintenance.
Ohio State ATI offers an Associate of Applied Science degree in Turfgrass Management and a Certificate of Competency in Sports / Commercial Turf Equipment.
Students in the Turfgrass Management program must successfully complete a 14-week internship of full-time employment at an approved turfgrass management facility. Ohio State ATI works with students to find appropriate internship opportunities throughout the United States and abroad.
Employment opportunities exist with country clubs and golf courses, sports turf facilities, parks, lawn care and landscape firms, and sod farms. Among other places, Ohio State ATI graduates are currently employed at:
- Firestone Country Club (Ohio)
- Muirfield Village Golf Club (Ohio)
- Pebble Beach (California)
- The Broadmoor Resort (Colorado)
- The Bear’s Club (Florida)
- PGA National (Florida)
- The Seminole Golf Club (Florida)
- Oak Hills Country Club (New York)
- Southern Hills Country Club (Oklahoma)
• Ohio State ATI’s 18-hole championship golf course facility, Hawk's Nest
• Campus grounds, including sports fields, turfgrass plots, and a model golf hole
• Nearby Secrest Arboretum which contains more than 2,000 plant specimens
Ohio State ATI also offers an Associate of Science in Horticultural Science. This option allows students to begin their coursework at Ohio State ATI and complete a portion of the requirements for a Bachelor of Science at The Ohio State University College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences in Columbus.